IKANO Communications was founded over 10 years ago as a regional Internet service provider in the Intermountain West and since then has flourished to become the industry leader in private-label, wholesale, and retail Internet services. IKANO leverages its ISP platform to provide outstanding services at highly competitive prices. The company’s rapid growth and excellence in the field have resulted in IKANO’s ranking in the Inc. 500
, Technology Fast 500
, Inner City 100
, Utah 100
, and Call Center of the Year
The word "ikano" means "to enable" in the Greek language. Thus, IKANO is a leading enabler of Internet services and IP solutions. IKANO provides wholesale telco services for ISP's, turn key services for affinity groups, and retail services for IKANO owned brands. We leverage our relationships with telecommunications companies and CLEC's to help organizations that want to become more effective in acquiring new customers, communicating with customers and retaining customers through their e-business initiatives.
As the official Data Networking Services Provider for the 2002 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games
, IKANO provided the data networking services and support for the 2002 Games.
Key Dates and Milestones:
- December 1999 – IKANO founded; raised $11.5 million Series A venture capital
- November 2000 – Raised $7.0 million Series B round
- January 2001 – Acquired assets of ZipLink Canada and launched Canadian dial network
- May 2001 – Raised $15.0 million Series C round
- February 2002 – Served as official data networking supplier to 2002 Olympic Winter Games
- May 2002 - Call Center Magazine Call Center of the Year Award
- February 2004 to March 2005 – Acquired 13 small to medium ISPs
- October 2004 - IKANO Communications Ranked the 175th Fastest Growing Technology Company in North America on the 2004 Deloitte Technology Fast 500
- October 2004 - IKANO Communications Ranked in the Inc. 500 Listing of America’s Fastest Growing Companies
- March 2005 -IKANO Acquires Assets of Washington-Based Internet Service Provider Amerion
- July 2005 – Acquired Dialup USA / ISP.com
- March 2006 – Acquired DSL Extreme; closed $26.5 million debt financing
- May 2007 - IKANO obtains DSL Agreement with AT&T Worth $26 Million
- April 2008 – IKANO announced it is teaming with Google to deploy Google Apps™ to ISP's
- February 2009 - IKANO launched a new Referral Agent Program for Google Apps™ Partner Edition
- December 2009 – Acquired Defender Hosting and Re-branded as Virtacore Systems
- April 2010 – Virtacore Systems Awarded SAS 70 Type II Certification
- September 2010 - Virtacore Joins VMware vCloud Express Program
- February 2011 – Virtacore Partners with Protera Technologies to Offer Private Clouds to the SAP Marketplace
- March 2011 – Virtacore partners with PHD Virtual Technologies to Provide Data Backup & Recovery in the Cloud
- April 2011 – Virtacore Announces Launch of VMware vCloud Express, an On-Demand Self-Service Cloud Offering
- August 2011 - Virtacore Improves Cloud Security with SSAE 16 Type II Audit
- August 2011 - Virtacore & Goliath Technologies Partner to Offer vCloud Express Monitoring
- December 2011 - Virtacore Systems, Inc. Completes Financing with Silicon Valley Bank
Virtacore is a leading cloud services and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) provider, offering Public and Private clouds to the middle market through the company’s best-of-class VMware and Cisco-based platform. Virtacore enables customers to virtualize and migrate their IT infrastructure into the cloud, reducing capital costs and operating expenses, while improving data security, network availability, application performance and scalability. Utilizing Virtacore’s Public and Private cloud platforms, businesses run their core applications from enterprise-grade data centers. Our platforms enable you to move application deployments between our clouds services and your on-premise solutions. Virtacore is also developing white label cloud services, allowing companies to offer public cloud and additional cloud services under their own brand.
Virtacore was founded in 2002 and is wholly-owned by IKANO Communications, Inc. IKANO is a portfolio company of Insight Venture Partners ($5 billion under management; additional portfolio companies include Twitter, Yelp, Parallels and Tumblr). Virtacore has 10,000+ virtual environments under management and operates within Equinix data centers located in Los Angeles, San Jose, Chicago, Washington, D.C. and London. Based in Northern Virginia near Dulles Airport, in the heart of the technology corridor, Virtacore resides among one of the largest concentrations of data centers in the United States.
Recent Virtacore Milestones:
- Virtacore develops key vCloud technology with VMware for VMworld in 2010.
- Virtacore partners with VMware for vCloud Express in 2011.
- Virtacore partners with Equinix and its DC10 Business Suites program, October 2011.
- Virtacore selected as part of Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for public cloud providers in January, 2012.
- Virtacore nominated to vCloud Powered Program with VMware, January 2012.
- Virtacore mentioned at Equinix Investor / Analyst Day, June 2012.
- Virtacore partners with large technology provider for white label cloud program, July 2012.
- Virtacore builds new cloud core/infrastructure utilizing Cisco UCS Platform, August 2012.
“Your Cloud, Our Infrastructure.”
- Headquarters: 22375 Broderick Drive, Sterling, VA 20166.
- Additional Office Locations: Los Angeles, CA, Salt Lake City, UT, and sales offices in Seattle, WA and Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Management Team: George Naspo, CEO. Phill Lawson-Shanks, CTO. Robert Kalchthaler, CFO. Douglas Pollei, VP Strategy & Partnerships, George Mitsopoulos, VP Products. Kevin Burke, VP Sales.
- Data Center Presence: Los Angeles, San Jose, Chicago, Washington, D.C., and London.
- Compliance and Certifications: PCI, SSAE 16 SOC1, SOC2 (pending), Safe Harbor.
- Key Products: Cloud infrastructure – IaaS: Virtacore Public Cloud, Virtacore Standard Private Cloud, Virtacore Custom Private Cloud, Virtacore White Label Cloud, VDI, Google Apps.
- Key Services: Onsite data center inspections, cloud migration feasibility/cost saving studies, remote hands, and cloud provisioning. Google Apps migrations, onsite training, and project management.
- Industries of Key Customers: Telecommunications, satellite internet service, government contractor, manufacturing, publishing.
- Key Technologies: Cisco UCS Cloud Platform, CIAC (Cisco Intelligent Automated Cloud) orchestration engine, Virtacore Cloud Management Portal (integration with vCloud Director), white label cloud infrastructure.
- Lead Technology Partners: Equinix, Google, VMware, Cisco.
Additional Technology Partners: EMC, Asigra, NetApp, Lanamark, VCE, Nimble, Commvault, Dell, Microsoft, HP, OpenStack, Afore, Parallels.
- Key Points: Equinix Business Suites – first partner to enter program.
- Key Industries: Financial Services, Media & Publishing, Telecommunications, Associations, IT Services, Education, Manufacturing, and Healthcare.
- Partner Advisory Boards: Equinix (advisory board member with Amazon, Deloitte, and Salesforce), CANTO, and VMware.
- Presentations: Anatomy of Cloud Delivery with VMware and Equinix
- Events: VMworld 2010, 2011, and 2012;Google I/O 2008, 2009, and 2011; Google Atmosphere 2010 and 2011; Cloud Expo East 2012.
- Rankings: Included in 2012 Gartner Magic Quadrant for providers of Public Infrastructure as a Service.
- Google Partnership: Google Apps Reseller since 2008, with specialization in migrating and managing deployments to hundreds of unique brands spanning 17 countries.
- Funding: Funded by Insight Venture Partners, which has $5 billion under management.
- Parent Company: IKANO Communications, which has 120 employees in five locations within the U.S. and Canada. Virtacore acquired by IKANO in 2009.